The location of the present DIT Grangegorman campus has long been of importance to the citizens of Dublin. St. Brendan's Hospital. Officially opened in 1815, although it received its first patients in 1814, the Richmond Lunatic Asylum was initially created as a national institution for the reception of recoverable lunatics. On the 30 July 1830 the asylum was incorporated into the national system of district asylums and was renamed the Richmond Lunatic District Asylum. Under the district asylum system it received patients resident in the city and county of Dublin and the counties of Louth, Meath, Wicklow and the town of Drogheda. On 19 May 1921 its name was changed to the Grangegorman Mental Hospital. On 17 April 1958 its name was changed to St. Brendan's Hospital. The hospital was gradually wound down in the early 2000s. The new replacement facility for St. Brendans Hospital, the Phoenix Care Centre, was opened 1st March 2013 .
Submissions from 2013
Consignation , Representations of Grangegorman : Past ,Present and Future, Adrian Langtry, Aisling Reddin, Jason Kearney, Noel Phelan, Orlaith Baldwin, and Vincent Gregan